Home away from home

Home away from home

Monday, June 6, 2016

Summer Plans At Home!


 Hello Honors students,

I hope you are enjoying the Summer weather we are having this week! As great as it is to be outside during this time of year, sometimes the weather is too hot or stormy to be outside! If you're looking for things to do at home, this post might give you some ideas.

Scrapbooking:

Yes, scrapbooking. If you've never started your own scrapbook before, you might think that it's boring or a lot of work. It is actually, at least for me, super relaxing and fun! The scrapbook itself can really be whatever you want it to be, from a place to document trips to somewhere to put your ticket stubs.

My cousin and I love to scrapbook (I started one for my high school graduation party and have kept adding to it ever sense). Mine is mostly to document trips and concerts I have went to. Here are a few photos of my personal scrapbook (sorry about the glare!):


It's actually a pretty cheap activity to do. All you need is to go to Michael's, JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby and purchase some 12 x 12 paper (which they have super adorable patterns for), print your photos/use your props and for extra cuteness buy a pack of the million of themed stickers they sell at these stores! (P.S. These stores always have their coupons online). You'll also need scissors and glue.

Once you make a few pages, you can purchase a book to put them in so you can show your family and friends! In the days of technology where we take photos on our phones, it can be nice to have a back up of your favorite photos. (Tip: Meijer is a great place to print photos, the more you print the cheaper it is per print and they have an app where you can upload your pictures then pick them up later!)

We hope to see you at our Honors events this upcoming academic year (and this summer!) where we can take pictures that would look great in a scrapbook!

String Art: 
 
If you like something a little more hands on, another great craft I did was string art (I did get this idea from Pinterest). I have done three (look at some photos below):'





For this, it costs a little more (about $20 per board) but all you have to get are these items:
  • Wooden board of whatever size you'd like (I got mine from hobby lobby)
  • Colored String
  • Little nails 
  • Print out photo of what you want to outline
  • Hammer
I taped the photo of what I wanted to create on the board then I hammered in nails around the edges. After that I removed the paper outline. The final step is knotting the string around one nail and wrapping it around the others and tying it on the last one again. (These steps sound simple and they are but be careful when using the hammer since the nails are so small, this step takes a lot of time and effort).

Thanks for reading and feel free to send pictures if you decide to scrapbook to document your college experience or make some pages as a gift or create awesome string art.

Kaylee

(kbrow107@emich.edu)


No comments:

Post a Comment